Gloriously Golden Smashed Turmeric New Potatoes

Potatoes aren’t something I usually buy as I’m more of a noodle/ quinoa/rice person when it comes to carbs, but these gloriously golden smashed new potatoes have been winning me over lately. Boiled until just tender and then cooked in a fragrant, slightly spicy mix with hints of mustard, these are so much more than a side dish because they take centre stage in their own right. I had it with one of the new Strong Roots Pumpkin and spinach burgers, which I’ll be talking about in a later post and some kale and aubergine, but this was the most enticing thing on the plate.

I’m always an advocate of carbs. I run and gym quite a lot anyway, but everyone should be eating potatoes regardless. They get quite a bad rep for being fattening but are actually lower in calories than rice or pasta plus contain vitamins like B1 which we need to release energy from carbohydrates, vitamin c (not just in oranges!) and B6. Additionally, they contain potassium which every cell in our body needs. New potatoes are also a good source of fibre plus the skin is the tastiest part in my opinion. Potatoes are also low in fat; it’s what they’re cooked in or how they’re made that can make them a bad choice like chips or roasties. These have a little walnut oil in, which I love for its subtle taste and its vegan omega 3 fatty acids.
This is a simple, one pan recipe as I try to make most of my cooking. Whilst I love incredible plant-based food, I like to keep things simple at home as firstly I hate washing up and secondly, I like to keep home cooking relatively stress free (there’s enough of that in this world already!).

With the perfect mix of cayenne, mustard, cumin and turmeric these have a nice earthy and smoky undertone with a hint of spice and the glorious yellow colour of the turmeric. A dollop of vegan mayo or sour cream is a nice topping. Any leftovers are also really nice cold in a lunchbox or nourish bowl with some other bits and pieces.


Gloriously golden smashed turmeric new potatoes
Serves 2
400g new potatoes, cut into halves or quarter if particularly large
1 to 1.5 tablespoons of walnut oil (or any other oil)
1 tablespoon turmeric
1 large tablespoon mustard
1 tsp of ground cumin
½ to 1 tsp of cayenne pepper (depending on how hot you like)
1 tablespoon of lemon juice
Black pepper and salt (I use a salt alternative made of seaweed, which has less sodium called Saltnerative)

Method:
1.       Boil the new potatoes in boiling water for 15-20 minutes until cooked but not too soft
2.       Drain the pan and take off the heat
3.       Add your walnut oil, turmeric, mustard, cumin, cayenne, lemon juice and any seasonings and return to a medium heat on the hob.
4.       Keep stirring with a wooden spatula to fully coat everything in the fragrant mix, breaking up and smushing the potatoes a bit to roughen them up for about 10 minutes.
5.       Serve with something cooling like coconut nut or unsweetened soy yogurt or vegan mayo.

Comments

What's hot